FOR ALL YOUR MTB NEEDS

Thursday 23 February 2012

URBAN X DH ENDURO



Again we were blessed with a bright, sunny winters morning. Awesome weather for a four hour race. Yes!! you heard me!! a four hour race, welcome to Enduro racing. The concept of this event was to see how many runs you could do down a specified track in four hours

Enduro racing is starting to become very popular these days, especially in the winter months where riders use them as part of there training. Two riders did just that, Lee Hawden and James Kaye were using this event as part of their prep training for the infamous Mega Avalanche. I did it in 2010 and the memories of the pain still haunt me to this day...good times.

I was very un easy about putting on a race like this because first off I hadn't done it before and I didn't now how my usual crop of mini DH riders would feel about it. After a beer and a burger with Arthur Herrington, the man behind the lens at Art82 Photography convinced and assured me that we could pull it off together. As no one had done a down hill enduro mates race before in our area we were keen to be the first so we went for it.

All in all I felt that it went well for our first outing. Out of 70 pre-registerd riders 40 took part on the day, spirits and the good old "ban ta" remained high through out the four hours of pain. The highlight of the day was when our local boyo Santa Cruz pro rider and x UCI World DH Champion "Steve Peat" rolled up on his Santa Cruz 29er and went for a blast on the track. Like the gentleman that he is he hung around a bit, chatted to the riders and posed for a few snap shots....what a guy. I have to wonder if he was just passing by or was he checking up on SPS (Steve Peat Syndicate) rider Freddie Oxley progress. Well he didn't have to because he won the whole thing by a run.

I would just like to say thank you to the local sponsors: Geared Up, Just Riding Along and Static clothing for their contributions. Also my Urban Extremist UK club mates Steven Johnson, Hyper Steve Rout and Alex McCabe( photos) for marshaling and making it a worry free event for me. And last of all Arthur Herrington of Art82 Photography for the awesome photos plus the trophies and for giving me the idea to have a go at it.



10 comments:

  1. Hi Trev


    Thanks to you & your helpers for putting in the effort to organise such a great event ! TOP MAN !


    Yes my legs are killing and my body feels like its done a few hundred press ups but I have washed the bike and its ready to go
    please keep me on the mailing list for any future events ? do you want me to spread the word I think I could bring another 4 to the party


    let us know when you go to Warncliffe for a ride Me & Simon #54 need to learn the Black Diamond Run


    Cheers Dave #53

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi trev,


    I'm the guy on the red lapierre who went toe to toe with your mate craig on the cube fritzz, nice bloke he was!


    this may sound a bit daft as it was a mates race, but i should actually have been in the masters category instead of seniors, I've had to change my category on the fetish gravity enduro series too as if your thirty in the year the race starts you go up a category by british cycling ruling, I'm not saying that just to get a higher ranking, i suspect craigs timed run beat mine, but we did go lap for lap, either way i think i finished top ten and was happy to compete with only one over the bars!


    on a side note, well done for organising the race, the sport needs more people like yourself and your team to keep the sport growing, you did a good job and it ran smoothly, 4 hours was a bit full on though!


    hope to see you lot again at another race, keep me informed of any if you can!


    cheers,


    james #20

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trev,


    Just wanted to drop you a quick line to say thanks to you and the marshals/stewards for putting on a great race today. It's the first race of yours that I've done, and I will certainly be back for more!


    Cheers,
    Scott #6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi trev , thanks for a great event , and very intrested in your future events .. Please add me to any mailing list :)

    Cheers malc#19.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pal,

    Thanks for the good weekend pal, much appreciated!! Feeling it now though...

    Ollie #31

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trev,

    Thanks for organising the race today, it was a good laugh.

    Harry #24

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urban x, thanks for a great day, well organised and a brilliant group of friendly riders.

    Simon Taylor #54

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks urban x had a great time and lots of fun and pain!

    Ian Gormley #48

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luke Croft
    mint day yesterday feelin it wen i walk upstairs today lol. whens next 1 hahaha

    Luke Croft #4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natasha Tr Bonser #95
    Its amazing how far you can push yourself mentally that has got to be the hardest race i have ever done, but so fun really enjoyed it thanks to — Arthur Herrington and Trevor Francis

    ReplyDelete